Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Blog Assignment #2

On Friday, our class went down to Toronto to visit the office of a company known as GestureTek. A rather interesting company, given what they've made, though I do feel their office is kind of poor. Then again, it's not their main office so I suppose that makes it acceptable.

For starters, we were guided around by one of the higher-ups of GestureTek (One of the founders of GestureTek, actually), Vincent John Vincent. Of course, we weren't really told much we didn't already know from research, but oh well.

He spoke to us on each of their various products; some were rather interesting as we couldn't find too much on them or they didn't look to work so well (Though seeing them in person they looked a lot better), while others were as dull as I originally found.

One thing Vincent brought up to us was how their technology is mostly used in museums, despite some of the other applications it has. One such place is the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto, according to the GestureTek website (Link).

Another thing Vincent saw to bringing up, something many of us were aware of, was that they had hardware and software designed specifically for rehab and that using it excelled a person's rate of regeneration. I don't know if this is true, and probably won't unless I could speak to people who have used it, but it sounds to be of great benefit. A number of places make use of the technology, too (Link)

One thing I learned that I was not aware of was that some of what GestureTek has designed is actually used by several weather stations across the USA. This surprised me to learn, and I'm rather upset I can't find any links regarding it. Hopefully something will come along.

Along with this, we were told that some of their technology was used in games for a japanese show! This is another thing I wish I could find a link to, just so I can watch. Finding more entertainment applications is cool, I believe. It's a shame they seem to only have these videos at their office.

Some of their other technologies were cool, and I kinda wish I could learn more. What caught my interest when seeing it was the GroundFX, because it reminded me of something shown at E3 in 2006, I believe, by Nintendo. I had to wonder if perhaps what Nintendo used then was, in fact, GestureTek technology (Link)

That's really all for now, though. Missing two links and that annoys me, mostly because I can't the links I'd want on the GestureTek website or anywhere else.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

just read your post with my morning coffee. i do know about gesturetek, and although they have some interesting stuff i found out that there is another company called EyeClick that makes similar products but on a higher creative scale.their projected interactive images are amazing.i saw them recently in trade show in Chicago. if you are interested in this area you should check them out. www.eyeclick.com.

Steve Fink said...

The Nintendo E3 floor display was done by Reactrix .

Patti said...

Interesting points about GestureTek. The company’s most groundbreaking client work in immersive experiences, interactive displays, and multi-touch surface computing should be showcased more boldly on the website. You know the old saying about the shoemaker’s shoes! You should know, though, that GestureTek pioneered video gesture control technology nearly 20 years ago and has been an innovator in the field ever since. The technology is patented, so companies like Reactrix actually license the technology from GestureTek. EyeMobile and others like it are simply “also-rans”.

Here’s are some links to some of the information that you said you couldn’t find:

1. Television Production [LINK]

2. Gesture-Controlled Mobile Gaming TV ads and video clips [LINK]

Here also are a few links to some of our product videos.

1. Full Product Showcase Video [LINK]

2. Illuminate Multi-Touch Table (turn an ordinary table, or any surface, into a gateway to the virtual world). [LINK]

3. Screen Xtreme (interactive, experiential advertising where people see themselves in a digital sign and manipulate its background, images and special effects). [LINK]

4. Illuminate Display (a magical, invisible surface to navigate dynamic multimedia in a futuristic way. Think of the movie “Minority Report”. [LINK]

5. AirPoint System (a tiny hand tracking unit that eliminates the need for mice, keyboards, touch screens and joysticks. [LINK]

6. Ground FX ( a stunning visual display system that lets people create special effects, play games and interact with ads on the floor) [LINK]

Hope you found this useful.

Patti Jordan

Director Marketing & Communications

GestureTek Inc.