Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Term 2 - Blog 3 - The Final Blog

Hello folks who for some reason read this blog. Welcome to the last blog I intend to post here! Haha! I hope you've enjoyed the little joy ride so far. Here's hoping the last one isn't crappy.

Today we had Wayne MacPhail come in to speak to us on... uhh... web 2.0? I think. I'm not entirely sure. Personally, I think Web 2.0 is a silly term. Based on what Wayne told us, I know what is considered for Web 2.0, but why call it that? It seems... well, stupid. Can't we just call it the web like we always have? ( Link to Wikipedia on Web 2.0 )

Well, anyway, he talked to us about Web 2.0, telling us that it encourages community and collaboration, shared content creation (Isn't this the same as collaboration?), and that Web 2.0 websites focus on a single task and have clean, clear interfaces. Like Facebook... Ugh... I dislike Facebook. Something about it, and other social networking sites, just don't sit well with me. ( Link to Facebook )

He then got into talking about the key concepts of Web 2.0, starting with tagging. This is where you attach keywords to images, videos, and documents to allow for more relevant searching. For example, on YouTube you could have a video of someone's puppy "fighting" a toy robot and tag it with "puppy", and could find other videos tagged with "puppy" as well to get a collective library of videos on YouTube that should have puppies in them! ( Link to YouTube video of a puppy "fighting" a toy robot )

At this point, I sorta lost it. I managed to tune in long enough to learn about RSS feeds, but honestly that was it. I got distracted after that. Anyway, I never really bothered looking up about RSS feeds prior, largely because all I knew about them was that they kept people off my website. While this is ok to an extent, I want people on my actual site! I don't want them finding out something new without going to the actual site. It didn't seem like something I'd want to set-up. I still don't think that way. It basically just gives them a feed to a special program that says "This website updated today with this" followed by whatever the update was. That's all find and dandy, but my website runs an ad to generate money to keep it going. An RSS feed would be pointless for me, I feel. ( Link to Wikipedia on RSS )

But who knows? Maybe I'm looking at it wrong.

AND THAT'S IT! Now get lost!






Unless you have a dollar, then I welcome you with open arms. :D

- Skye

1 comment:

Skye said...

Hello cool blog name... mine is worldofskye.blogspot.com :-)